News from Amateur Photography, Ephotozine, DPReview:
- AI-powered watermark removal poses uncomfortable implications for content useon 27th January 2023 at 8:34 pm
Image credit: WatermarkRemover.io Artificial intelligence being used to create photorealistic artwork is already causing significant unrest within the photography industry, but a new tool, WatermarkRemover.io, is among the most concerning. WatermarkRemover.io, which is available for free, uses AI to remove watermarks from images – as evidenced by its name. While there are some benign reasons to want to remove watermarks from an image, for example, if you own the rights to an image but can't […]
- How to make a bird photo havenby Andrew Fusek Peters on 27th January 2023 at 3:39 pm
Raise your chances of taking great wild bird shots by attracting more of them to your garden. Andrew Fusek Peters is your guide The post How to make a bird photo haven appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- Film Friday: This DIY device lets you capture metadata information for your film photographyon 27th January 2023 at 2:26 pm
Image credit: Allesandro Genova Metadata in the days of film photography mostly consisted of whatever notebook and pen you had on hand. While there are a few cameras that stand out as exceptions, film photography typically didn’t encode any kind of capture information, such as shutter speed, aperture and ISO, alongside the captured image. To remedy this problem, research and development software engineer Alessandro Genova created a DIY solution to not only capture the metadata of each […]
- How photography saved my lifeby Geoff Harris on 27th January 2023 at 2:25 pm
However tough the times, photography really can help us through – as you’ll see from these inspiring stories from our readers. The post How photography saved my life appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- Best full-frame mirrorless cameras in 2023by Claire Gillo on 27th January 2023 at 1:58 pm
Claire Gillo and the AP team pick the best full-frame mirrorless cameras you can buy in 2022, from Sony, Canon, Nikon and Panasonic. The post Best full-frame mirrorless cameras in 2023 appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- So.co launches Music Photographer of the Year Awardsby Isabella Ruffatti on 27th January 2023 at 11:47 am
The Music Photographer of the Year Awards are now open for entries until 15 March 2023. Winners will be announced on 27 March 2023. The post So.co launches Music Photographer of the Year Awards appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- The best lenses for portrait photographyby Andy Westlake on 27th January 2023 at 10:42 am
Andy Westlake gives an insight into the best lenses for portrait photography and how to choose the right one for you The post The best lenses for portrait photography appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- Alternative landscape photography tips – see in a new lightby Jessica Miller on 27th January 2023 at 10:18 am
Tracy Calder explores the book This Pleasant Land: New Photography of the British Landscape and shares guidance on alternative approaches to landscape photography. The post Alternative landscape photography tips – see in a new light appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- Planetary defense radar prototype captures detailed images of the moonon 26th January 2023 at 10:35 pm
Scientists at the Green Bank Observatory in West Virginia have used a transmitter with 'less power than a microwave' to produce the highest resolution images of the moon ever captured from Earth. Using the Green Bank Telescope (GBT) and Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA), the team captured high-resolution radar images of the moon, laying the foundation for a next-generation radar system that will allow scientists to study planets, moons and asteroids throughout the solar system. The prototype of […]
- Best Olympus camera (and OM SYSTEM) in 2023by Claire Gillo on 26th January 2023 at 6:30 pm
We've rounded up all of the current and old Olympus camera models you can still get second-hand or refurbished. Here's our pick of the best The post Best Olympus camera (and OM SYSTEM) in 2023 appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- Centre for British Photography opens to the public!by Petermdench on 26th January 2023 at 6:25 pm
A new home for British photography opened to the public in London today and promises to be a hub for connecting photography and photographers across the nation. Peter Dench finds out more The post Centre for British Photography opens to the public! appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- Sony Future Filmmaker Awards 2023 shortlist announcedby Isabella Ruffatti on 26th January 2023 at 5:24 pm
Notably, the Sony Filmmaker Awards 2023 have an environment category and the Future Format competition was open to films shot on smartphones. The post Sony Future Filmmaker Awards 2023 shortlist announced appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- Formula 1 POV: All F1 drivers to wear Driver's Eye micro cameras inside their visors in 2023on 26th January 2023 at 4:50 pm
Image credit: Racing Force Group. You can see the tiny camera inside the padding of Charles Leclerc's Bell helmet (inside the red square). Racing Force Group, maker of Bell helmets, will expand its Driver's Eye camera to other helmet manufacturers in 2023. Formula 1 racing has long been at the forefront of automotive technology, with teams spending hundreds of millions of dollars to create some of the fastest, most advanced racecars on the planet. The Formula 1 worldwide telecast has been […]
- Best portrait photography advice from the prosby Jessica Miller on 26th January 2023 at 3:40 pm
How do top portrait specialists approach a shoot and what gear do they use? We asked six acclaimed photographers to share their best ever portrait photography secrets The post Best portrait photography advice from the pros appeared first on Amateur Photographer.
- OM Digital Solutions teases product announcement, believed to be a new 90mm F3.5 2x macro lenson 25th January 2023 at 8:15 pm
OM Digital Solutions is teasing a new ‘exciting announcement’ for its OM System lineup. According to the YouTube Premiere teaser, the new product will be launched at 1am ET on February 8, 2023. While the teaser doesn’t specify what’s being announced, it’s believed it will be the M.Zuiko Digital ED 90mm F3.5 Macro IS Pro lens, OM Digital Solutions added to the OM System lens roadmap last year. The new lens is also already partially listed on B&H Photo’s website. Screenshot […]
- Cosina's Voigtländer 50mm F1 Aspherical lens will soon be available with a native Nikon Z-mounton 25th January 2023 at 4:38 pm
Image credit: Cosina Cosina has announced it will soon offer its Voigtländer Nokton 50mm F1 Aspherical with a native Z-mount for full-frame and APS-C Nikon mirrorless camera systems. The lens appears to be a re-mounted version of the existing 50mm F1 for Leica M-mount cameras, with essentially identical specifications. The Nokton 50mm F1 Aspherical lens is an ultrafast manual prime lens with electrical contacts for transmitting metadata between the lens and the camera it’s attached to. […]
- Finer Points: What would you want to see in a hybrid camera? For me it’s shutter angle and 32-bit...on 25th January 2023 at 3:00 pm
There are many hybrid cameras on the market, but it seems as if only a few offer shutter angle while shooting video, a feature that can be indispensable. Photo: Jason Hendardy When I think about what a hybrid camera should provide to the user, it may seem obvious to say that the camera in the simplest sense should be able to shoot still photos and videos. This may be an oversimplified definition, but I find it to be a good starting point in terms of the features a hybrid camera should have. […]
- You can purchase custom high-res satellite imagery for under $200on 24th January 2023 at 10:58 pm
If you have $175 and a smartphone or computer, you can capture high-resolution satellite images anywhere on Earth using SkyFi. It's an app for iOS, Android and web browsers that lets users capture multispectral and optical photos and video. The service will be expanded soon to include radar, hyperspectral and nighttime photos. SkyFi will also include tools for detecting objects and observing changes over time, which will greatly enhance SkyFi's utility for academic and scientific work. […]
- Nikon’s Z50 gets eye-detection AF for video with 2.40 firmware updateon 24th January 2023 at 4:34 pm
Image credit: DPReview Nikon has released a fairly substantial firmware update for its Z50 camera system that now brings eye-detection AF to video capture. Firmware version 2.40 for the Nikon Z50 is now available to download from Nikon’s website. This update brings Nikon’s eye-detection AF mode to the APS-C camera system and improves eye-detection performance when shooting stills with the Auto-area AF mode. While the Z50 is the more stills-oriented version compared to the EVF-less Z30, […]
- If it's cold outside, here's what you need to know to operate your drone safelyon 24th January 2023 at 3:00 pm
Most modern drones are capable of handling weather cold enough to form ice. You still need to take extra precautionary measures to fly safely. Photo credit: Kara Murphy Every season provides countless opportunities to capture beautiful scenes with your drone's camera. When winter arrives, some parts of the world are decorated with picturesque icy formations and snowscapes. If you want to capture this beauty while it's available, understand that frigid weather will compromise your drone's […]
- Slideshow: Winning images from the 2022 Ocean Art Photo Competitionon 23rd January 2023 at 8:09 pm
Winning images from the 2022 Ocean Art Photo Competition Recently, Ocean Art Photo Competition announced its 2022 winners and runners up. Put on by the Underwater Photography Guide, the annual contest awarded over $100,000 in prizes to finalists. Kat Zhou's image of an elderly mother octopus spending her final days with her offspring won the Best in Show award. 'The best camera is the one you have with you', as the saying goes. A new 'Mobile Phone' category was introduced this year for […]
- Laowa announces Proteus 2x anamorphic lenses for Super35 sensorson 23rd January 2023 at 3:45 pm
Venus Optics has announced a new series of anamorphic lenses, the Proteus 2x Anamorphic Series. The Laowa Proteus 2x lenses deliver a constant 2x squeeze ratio for Super35 image sensors. What is an anamorphic lens? Anamorphic lenses are specialty lenses that project an image onto the image sensor that is compressed along the longer dimension. In the case of the Proteus 2x lenses, '2x' is the 'squeeze ratio,' or the factor by which the projected image is compressed along the longer dimension. […]
- Testing the Fujifilm 56mm F1.2 WR for use as our studio lenson 23rd January 2023 at 3:00 pm
When we published our studio test images for the Fujifilm X-H2, we said we'd recheck the performance with the new 56mm F1.2 R WR when a copy became available. We wanted to check whether it offered better results than the original (non-WR) XF 56mm F1.2 R that's been our standard studio lens for testing Fujifilm cameras since February 2014. This also meant delaying testing of the Fujifilm X-T5, as we wanted to be sure we were using the most appropriate lens. We now have a production 56mm F1.2R WR […]
- Landscape Composition – Part 7: the Thing About Skyon 22nd January 2023 at 3:00 pm
So far in my landscape photography series, I've talked about compositional elements, including their weights and how to use their properties to balance the composition by imagining a balance of torques around the middle axis of an image. I've also discussed the balancing of negative space, the perception of subject direction and the often-overlooked importance I attach to the separation of elements. Finally I've discussed the perception of depth in an image. This time I'd like to talk about an […]
- Canon EOS R6 Mark II Sample Gallery (DPReview TV)on 22nd January 2023 at 3:00 pm
After a few weeks captured plenty of photos with a production Canon EOS R6 Mark II! Take a look at these full quality images, and be sure to download some raw files to do some editing yourself. Want to learn more about this camera? Watch our hands-on review from DPReview TV. View our Canon EOS R6 Mark II sample gallery
- DPReview TV: Canon EOS R6 Mark II Final Reviewon 21st January 2023 at 3:00 pm
The Canon EOS R6 Mark II may not look like a big upgrade looking at the specs, but a huge number of small improvements add up to a much more capable camera than its predecessor. After weeks with a production model, Chris and Jordan present their final findings. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to get new episodes of DPReview TV every week. Introduction Stills autofocus Stills image quality Video performance How it compares Canon EOS R6 Mark II sample gallery from this episode
- Film Friday: A hands-on review of the NONS SL660 SLR-style Instax Square cameraon 20th January 2023 at 5:11 pm
The NONS SL660 without a lens attached. The lens you see is the teleconverter, used to expand the image circle of lenses originally designed to work on full-frame camera systems. Image credit: Gannon Burgett/DPReview First and foremost, let me get this detail out of the way. The NONS SL660 is a $600 Instax camera. And no, that’s not a typo. That is a LOT of money for a camera that’s only capable of capturing instant photos of questionable quality. That said, this camera is a unique […]
- Fly the same route again and again for creative video with DJI's Waypointson 20th January 2023 at 2:00 pm
Recently, DJI made Waypoints available for their premium Mavic 3 series of drones. The Standard, Cine and Classic models now include this feature thanks to the latest v01.00.1000 firmware update. This development is significant because the Waypoints feature hasn't been readily available for any DJI consumer drone since the Mavic 2 Pro – which was released more than four years ago in August 2018. Waypoints allows you to capture video on pre-planned missions that you can save and repeat, with […]
- How astrophotographer Bray Falls helped to confirm the discovery of the Andromeda Oxygen Arc and...on 19th January 2023 at 7:42 pm
The Andromeda galaxy is approximately 2.5 million light years from Earth and for the past 134 years, it has been the one of the most-observed galaxies by astronomers. This is why it's surprising that a recent oxygen nebula was uncovered by amateur astronomers Marcel Drechsler and Xavier Strottner – an arc almost as large as the galaxy itself, that hadn't been discovered until now. To verify their claim, the duo enlisted French amateur astronomer Yann Sainty to help out. United States-based […]
- Five OM-D cameras get firmware update to support the upcoming M.Zuiko 90mm F3.5 Macro IS Pro lenson 19th January 2023 at 6:53 pm
A photograph of the OM System OM-1. Image credit: DPReview OM Digital Solutions has released firmware updates for five of its OM System Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera models to add support for its forthcoming M.Zuiko Digital ED 90mm F3.5 Macro IS PRO lens. While the M.Zuiko 90mm F3.5 IS PRO lens is yet to be available for purchase, the 180mm equivalent prime lens was announced last September in a lens roadmap update. OM Digital Solution’s brief announcement confirmed the lens will […]