News from Amateur Photography, Ephotozine, DPReview:
- Get 20% Off Pixum Photo Calendarson 27th January 2021 at 1:31 pm
ePHOTOzine members can currently save 20% when purchasing a photo calendar from Pixum and, they can begin in Feb 2021 so you won't miss out on a month.
- Leica M10-P Reporter Camera Launchedon 27th January 2021 at 1:31 pm
Leica is paying homage to the great reportage photographers of our time with a new limited-edition M10-P camera.
- The Best Photography Offers & Products From Companies Supporting ePz In January (And Beyond)on 27th January 2021 at 1:31 pm
Take a look at some of the best offers, deals and new products available from companies supporting ePHOTOzine in 2021 which includes Pixum, Vanguard, My-Picture and more!
- Claim FREE Products With Select Vanguard Photography Accessory Purchaseson 27th January 2021 at 1:31 pm
Vanguard has launched a New Year promotion where they are giving away some great free products when purchased from any UK dealer, or online, alongside select qualifying accessories.
- High-speed 50mp Sony Alpha 1 Announced With 8Kon 27th January 2021 at 1:31 pm
Sony has announced the new Sony Alpha 1 - a new high-speed 50mp full-frame mirrorless camera with 30fps continuous shooting, and up to 8K video recording at 30fps.
- Sony Alpha 1 v Sony Alpha 9 II: head-to-headby Geoff Harris on 27th January 2021 at 12:44 pm
How does Sony’s new Alpha 1 compare to another Sony full-frame, pro-spec powerhouse, the Alpha 9 II? And where does it leave the 60Mp Sony A7R IV?
- 90% Off inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate Software Bundleon 27th January 2021 at 10:39 am
inPixio is running a winter sale with a special reduction on a suite of top inPixio software. Plus, they're giving away 2 bonus programs for free.
- Sony a1: what you need to know about this powerful new full-frame flagshipon 26th January 2021 at 11:42 pm
Sony a1: what you need to know The Alpha 1 is Sony's new flagship camera, which it claims is a tool that can be used for sports, news, nature, portrait and commercial photography alike. To do this, Sony says it achieves a combination of resolution and speed that have previously seemed mutually exclusive. We spoke (at some length) to Sony product experts from both the US and Japan about the a1 to dig a little bit behind the headline specs and try to address as many 'but can it...?' questions […]
- Shutterstock’s $74M TurboSquid acquisition could change the landscape of stock photographyon 26th January 2021 at 9:39 pm
TurboSquid, a 3D asset marketplace, has been acquired by stock image company Shutterstock for $75 million. TurboSquid has the distinction of being the world's largest 3D marketplace, offering designers access to free and premium 3D models across a variety of categories for use in larger projects. The acquisition comes amid a growing corporate focus on the use of photo-realistic 3D renders in the place of traditional still images and videos. TurboSquid’s (admittedly awesome) logo. Once […]
- Here is what 8K footage and 50MP stills from the Sony Alpha 1 look likeon 26th January 2021 at 6:31 pm
Sony has released its new Alpha 1 camera with in-camera 8K recording at up to 30 frames per second (fps), in-camera 4K recording at up to 120 fps and 50MP still image capture at up to 30 fps. Its specs alone are enough to get an idea of what it has to offer, but Sony has also shared sample video and photos captured with its new flagship camera and GM lenses so you can take a look for yourself. Above is a compilation of sample 8K footage captured with the Alpha 1 and various Sony GM lenses. […]
- How to make and sell panoramas with compact camerasby Geoff Harris on 26th January 2021 at 4:56 pm
AP reader Derek Braid explains how he’s been capturing (and selling) stunning panoramas with the often-overlooked compact camera
- Sony reveals high-resolution, high-speed Alpha 1by Andy Westlake on 26th January 2021 at 4:25 pm
Flagship camera shoots 50MP at 30fps, along with 8K Video, all for a cool £6,500 body-only
- Sony reveals Alpha 1 50MP full-frame camera capable of 30fps and 8Kon 26th January 2021 at 3:12 pm
Sony has announced the Alpha 1, a fast, high-res 50MP camera capable of shooting at 30 fps with no blackout. It is capable of 8K video. It uses a stacked CMOS sensor and a pair of new Bionz XR processors, allowing silent, no-blackout images at up to 30 fps. Despite having twice as many pixels as the a9, the a1 promises to have 1.5x less rolling shutter. This allows flash sync at up to 1/200 sec with the electronic shutter or 1/400 sec using the mechanical shutter. The a1 can shoot 8K video at […]
- Sony's $2500 Xperia Pro is half 5G phone, half 4K HDR monitor/live-streaming deviceon 26th January 2021 at 3:00 pm
Sony has announced its latest smart device, the Xperia Pro, a flagship smartphone that doubles as the world's first external 4K HDR OLED monitor, as well as a 5G (mmWave) live streaming and file transfer solution, for your dedicated camera. To support these new skills, Sony has equipped the device with four 5G antennas, a beefed up chassis and the addition of a Micro HDMI port. It's aimed squarely at professionals, creatives, and content creators that need to get their media delivered as soon […]
- How to market yourself as a photographerby Geoff Harris on 26th January 2021 at 12:16 pm
However good your skills as a photographer, or good your camera equipment, you will have far less impact if you have a low profile. Jon Devo shares some personal experiences and expert tips to help you promote yourself
- Nikon doubles down on mirrorless: “I wasn’t looking at the market calmly” says top execby Geoff Harris on 25th January 2021 at 11:00 pm
Despite some rising red ink and a possibly overcautious approach in recent years, Nikon is bullish about the continued appeal of its mirrorless models
- Leica ad reminds us of the importance of photography in documenting historyon 25th January 2021 at 5:20 pm
Leica invented the first 35mm camera in 1914. Recently, they created a minute-long video ad to celebrate 'witnesses' – photographers using their cameras for over a century to capture worldwide events, both large and small. Narrated by Joel Meyerowitz, to the music of Niccolò Pacella, it features images from 28 photographers. Love, hate, beauty, craziness, lonliness, fear, tenderness, sparkle and revolution are a few of the themes on display. 'Today, as for more than one century, Leica keeps […]
- Filmulator is a straightforward open-source raw editor inspired by film developmenton 25th January 2021 at 5:16 pm
Filmulator is a Raw photo editing and library management application designed to offer users a simpler, streamlined experience at the expense of flexibility and functionality. It's not designed to do everything that an app like Lightroom can do but rather offer an open-source alternative based on developing film. The creator, CarVac, recently answered some questions in a Reddit thread. When asked what separates Filmulator from Lightroom, CarVac stated that while Filmulator similarly handles […]
- Nikon IS shipping cameras – just not from the Nikon UK Store (temporarily)by Geoff Harris on 25th January 2021 at 4:28 pm
Nikon UK clarifies the situation regarding orders from its Nikon store, and third-party retailers
- ZY Optics releases redesigned $799 Mitakon Speedmaster 50mm F0.95 lens for Leica M mounton 25th January 2021 at 4:09 pm
Zhong Yi Optics (ZY Optics) has released a Leica M mount version of its Mitakon Speedmaster 50mm F0.95 lens, bringing an improved optical design specifically for Leica camera systems. Unlike the Canon RF, Nikon Z and Sony E mount versions of the lens, which are constructed of 10 elements in 7 groups, the Leica M mount version is constructed of 11 elements in 8 groups, including multiple extra-low dispersion elements. Additionally, the Leica version of the Mitakon Speedmaster 50mm F0.95 lens […]
- Leica Digilux 2 – the first classic digital cameraby Geoff Harris on 25th January 2021 at 3:48 pm
Looking for a classic used digital camera under £500? Vintage camera expert John Wade discusses why the Leica Digilux 2 remains a good buy
- Pergear's 10mm F8 pancake fisheye APS-C lens costs $79, isn't much larger than a body capon 25th January 2021 at 3:18 pm
Pergear has announced its latest lens, a 10mm F8 fisheye lens for APS-C camera systems that’s not much larger than your standard lens cap. The pancake fisheye lens is constructed of five elements in four groups, including three extra-low dispersion elements. Despite being incredibly small, Pergear has managed to squeeze a manual focus lever into the frame of the lens (minimum focusing distance is 30cm / 1ft), however F8 is the only aperture you have to work with. On Fujifilm X mount, […]
- DPReview TV: Understanding diffractionon 25th January 2021 at 3:00 pm
You've no doubt heard warnings about the effects of diffraction at small apertures. But what exactly is it? Our resident mad scientist, Don Komarechka, explains what diffraction is and how it impacts your photos. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to get new episodes of DPReview TV every week
- Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR updated sample galleryon 25th January 2021 at 3:00 pm
The Fujifilm 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR is a reasonably priced wide-angle zoom for the company's X-mount, updated with weather-sealing and some ergonomic improvements. We've been shooting with it across the Pacific Northwest for a few days to see how it performs. Please note that this gallery was shot with a new sample of the 10-24mm, after concerns were raised about the performance of our previous sample of the lens. We think you'll be impressed with the (new) results. View our new Fujifilm XF […]
- ePHOTOzine Daily Competition Challenge Winners Week 3 January 2021on 25th January 2021 at 12:30 pm
Find out who has won a 32GB MicroSD card with SD adapter courtesy of Samsung in our latest Daily competition challenges.
- Fabulous Duck Capture Wins 'Photo Of The Week' Prizeon 25th January 2021 at 11:36 am
A duck stretching its wings is the focus of today's 'Photo of the Week' winning image that's bursting with amazing colours.
- Expert advice from a winner of the Nikon Photo Contestby Geoff Harris on 25th January 2021 at 10:46 am
Sara De Antonio Feu talks about her success in this major competition and shares some tips for entering photography competitions generally
- My-Picture Have Introduced A Retro Canvas To Their Personalisation Photo Product Line-Upon 25th January 2021 at 10:43 am
Custom printing specialists My-Picture have released a new canvas print which will add some vintage charm to your photographs.
- Samyang adds full frame 14mm T3.1 to VDSLR MK2 line-upon 24th January 2021 at 6:47 pm
Lens manufacturer Samyang has introduced a new wideangle lens to its VDSLR MK2 full frame cine series in the shape of the 14mm T3.1 VDSLR MK2. This brings to series to five lenses in total and takes the focal ranges covered to 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm. Like the other lenses in MK2 series the 14mm offers weather-proofing, a 9-bladed iris as well as distance and aperture scales on the side of the barrel. It differs though in its widest aperture of T3.1, as all the other lenses are a […]
- Tamron 17-70mm F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD sample galleryon 24th January 2021 at 3:00 pm
Tamron's 17-70mm F2.8 III-A VC RXD is a lightweight zoom for Sony APS-C E-mount shooters. Equivalent to a 25-105mm F4 in full-frame terms, this lens handles nicely on a6000-series cameras and offers great versatility for daylight shooting. Fast to focus, it also produces nice, sharp images across the frame and focal length.Please note that Tamron only appears to 'bake in' chromatic aberration correction into files shot with this lens. As such, distortion correction (and vignetting, for that […]